ARDC seeks an experienced Communications and Community Manager to join our team. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications and Community Manager will serve a key role in developing and delivering a comprehensive communications strategy. This role requires a dynamic individual who is well-versed in writing press releases and blog posts, as well as engaging with people on social media and chat forums like Discord, Discourse, and Zulip. An ideal candidate will be active in technology communities – particularly those related to amateur radio, digital communications science, free/libre open source software, and DIY culture. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in doing communications work in a philanthropic environment related to technology.
- Communications Strategy: Creating, implementing, and monitoring communications strategies and tactics (serving as communications strategist and thought partner on multidisciplinary team; providing vision, creativity and strategy, and ensuring a high level of product).
- Media Relations: Serving as a media liaison; curating targeted press lists of relevant media outlets, trade publications, and publications reaching underrepresented groups in amateur radio, digital communications, and technology more generally.
- Relationship Management: Serving as liaison to communications staff of grantee and partner organizations and stakeholders.
- Digital Strategy: Collaborating as a thought partner to Executive Director on strategy of digital communications.
- Content Development: Writing and editing digital content, newsletters, blog posts, talking points, and other public relations content and collateral.
- External Engagement and Events: participating in opportunities to raise visibility of ARDC and finding new opportunities, projects, and communities worth funding; may include published pieces, engagement on social media and chat channels; contributing to proposals and pitching interviews; tracking relevant conferences and ensuring that ARDC participates appropriately, be it as a speaker, sponsor, or attendee.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- 3+ years’ experience in communications or public relations.
- Familiarity with and involvement in amateur radio, ideally including the possession of an amateur radio license.
- Familiarity with (and love for) open source software and culture, as well as technological innovation in general.
- Familiarity with internet technology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience executing communications campaigns.
- A collaborative and relationship-building mindset.
- Ability to quickly produce clear, concise, and compelling written copy.
- Project management skills across multiple assignments with many moving parts.
- Proficiency in using a range of technology, including LibreOffice, and willingness to learn new technologies.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in a collaborative workplace.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, particularly in an area related to technology, management, or communications.
- Actively up-to-date with FCC activities, particularly as they relate to amateur radio and wireless communication technology more broadly.
- Familiarity with Git and Git workflows.
- Experience working in startups or other new, growing organizations.
- Experience working in international communications, including working with translators where needed.
At this time, we are only able to extend employment to US citizens operating within US states and territories.
English proficiency required.
Salary & Benefits
$65,000 – $85,000 / year, depending on experience and selection of a 32-hour workweek
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Medical insurance premium stipend reimbursement
- Matched contribution retirement plan
- Option for 32/hour workweek; some flexibility in work hours
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, as well as three (3) writing samples and/or examples of media campaigns, social media accounts you’ve curated, etc. Please send all files (including cover letter) as a PDF attachment without spaces in the file name. For example: jane-doe-cover-letter.pdf.